Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Somedays . . . you need a do-over

For long-time readers of my blog (realize that I have been blogging for over three years, but most of that was a private site until this past March), know that I am a runner. Running can get boring so I have a game that I play, when I past someone, I get a point, if someone passing me, I lose a point. In past postings, I mentioned that the earlier in the morning that I run, the less points I get (usually negative points), but the later I run, the more points I get . . . so you can assume that for some strange reason, the faster runners run earlier in the morning (everyone is usually amazed by my deductive reasoning). For the last few weeks, I have been running very early in the morning, and sure enough I was getting runs of -5, -3,-6,-2,-3,-4 . . . well, today, I decided to run a little later, I needed to build up my confidence again, well, woohoo, I scored a +3 (I would have got a +5, but two track stars zoomed by me in the end).

Anyway, I posted a question before about this phenomenon, would you rather be a small fish in a big pond (run with the faster runners) or a big fish in a small pond (run with the slower community). I said over and over again, that it is good to push yourself because that is how you get better, so I would rather run early (small fish in a big pond). However, some days, you just need a good "win", and it is okay to be a big fish in a small pond! It was a do-over day for me and felt good.

Tomorrow is a new day and return to being a small fish in a big pond.

No comments: