Thursday, May 22, 2008

Are You a Leader -- Or Just a Cheerleader?

I was reading another blog (on Inc.com) and found this interesting post and since I like to share other ideas, thought I would post for you. I think this post is right on, each of us has seen an "empty" leader, or a cheerleading type, which is not what leadership is about . . . if you find one, put them on the sideline but not in a leadership position.

Leadership isn't the same thing as management. Leadership is about providing vision as to where the company is going. It's about inspiring and motivating. It's about instilling a certain amount of comfort that someone wiser than you is going to figure a way out of a mess.

Of course, everyone knows there is such a thing as a bad leader. These leaders tend to do the opposite of everything I just mentioned. There are also leaders who may not be bad but who don't really provide much leadership. And then there's one more category I've spotted -- leaders who don't know the difference between leading and cheerleading. That's when the "leader" is always positive. Always motivating. Always bouncing around. Always telling people how great things are even when they are not.
Don't get me wrong. I think everyone wants a fearless leader. But I also think there's a fine line between sounding positive and sounding delusional. You lose credibility. Done in the proper manner, an honest "negative" appraisal of a difficult situation can be positive if it leads to a good plan of action. It is an opportunity to show the staff that you are critical of yourself and take responsibility.

I've had some difficult years where "mistakes were made" or business just took a dive. I was able to explain the situation and present a plan of action. I believe I calmed any anxieties (except for mine, of course) and have been successful in getting everybody to pull in the same direction. Here's the ultimate difference: Cheerleaders just yell the cheer and do their thing to rile up the crowd. It's all outgoing. Good leaders keep their eyes and ears on the crowd, being sensitive to their needs, to their moods, and to particular situations. Actually, it's not such a fine line.

No comments: