Thursday, May 1, 2008

Run for the Roses

The Kentucky Derby happens this Saturday. One of the nicknames for the race is the Run for the Roses since the winner is drapped with a blanket of red roses. For the past few weeks, Louisville Kentucky has held many festivals and events (including the largest fireworks show in the USA) to celebrate the most important two minutes in the world of sports (yes, only two minutes, but it is an intense two minutes). Almost 200,000 people attend this live event with millions others watching on TV for a two minute race. Amazing! Why is this important? Well, I have many friends in Louisville and this week they are all having fun and few are working (or even reading my blog, shame on them).

For the Kentucky Derby, you can’t understand it, unless you have attended, which I have been able to attend three times (and loved it each time).

-Drinking a Mint Julep (try it some time at your local bar or pub and you will understand better)
-Wearing a Funny hat
- Getting dressed up for a sports event that last only two minutes
- Seeing lots of famous people
- Betting (legally) on who will win the race

If you get a chance, you must attend at least once (this is a paid announcement from the Louisville Tourist Bureau). Every community, city or country has a special event that is similar so just thought I would share this one with you all (well, those outside of Kentucky).

So, what event (does not have to be a sports event) in the world would you want to attend in person? My answer is the Mens’ Tennis Championship at Wimbledon (lots of action, close surroundings, and I love strawberries). Please comment (oh, changed the commenting now so you don’t have to register).

2 comments:

Kim said...

Mine are almost all sporting events:

The Triple Crown of Racing - Would love to go to all three races in one year. We will do this one!

Super Bowl - Especially if a team I like is playing in it

National Championship (College Football) - In a year that Ohio State is playing (and it would be nice if we actually won the game)

The Tony Awards - LOVE Musical Theatre!!

American Idol Finals - I know - I'm pathetic

Anonymous said...

Anyone who knows me knows my answer is the Stanley Cup championship (hey, I may still have a chance!) Even better if the Penguins are in it!!

Let's go Pens!!!!!