Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fortune Cookie

I had a nice chinese dinner with my daughter when I was in Boston last week. At the end of dinner, as is tradition, we both received a fortune cookie. Now, they are usually silly and fun. They ususally provide a good laugh. My "fortune" was "Look forward to great fortune and a new lease on life!". Hey, that was a good one. Right, like this is really going to happen (plus, one new lease on life in a year is enough). Anyway, I have a great fortune as it is, healthy family, good friends, etc.

While this was silly, I have to admit . . . it made me feel pretty good. I know that this is not a "true" fortune, but it provided an uplift (okay, you can call me silly as well).

As I walked back to hotel, I contemplated why something so silly gave me positive energy. Was it that I was troubled and somehow this provided a diversion? Well, I thought it was simple (and for which leaders need to provide all the time), a vision of the future possibilities is uplifting . . . we often get so stuck in the weeds and troubles of today that we (or maybe it is just me) don't lift our heads up to see why are we doing what we are doing and what is ahead of us. Leaders, do not forget to provide that vision of the future (i.e., the Fortune Cookie for your unit) for each individual and the unit as a whole! It will be a rallying call (and positive energy) for the unit and staff who are working hard each and every day.

No comments: