Thursday, June 5, 2008

Influencing and Authority

Margaret Thatcher said "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."

Maybe people have asked me, now that I am an individual contributor and need to get things done through influencing has been difficult for me versus "being the global leader" and telling people to do things. Well, as the "global leader", I rarely told people what to do, I wanted them to do it because it was the right thing to do for the business. So, to be honest, it has not been difficult transition in that way. I believe if you prove your case, people will do the right thing whether you are their boss or "just" an individual contributor.

some further thoughts on this . . .

You should adopt a mind-set that your employees dont work for you, but you work for them . . . I said this many times . . . you are supporting them to get the things done that make the businesses successful (whether eliminating obstalces, supporting them in senior management meetings, shielding them from the politics).

Avoid "my way or the highway" thinking and behaviors. I have heard some leaders say, "you either get on the train or stay at the station, but the train is leaving", not is probably not the best way to motivate people and get their 100% engagement! Oh, the highway comment, remember that competitors might just be looking for some good hitchhikers!!

. . . and just remember that with authority comes the responsibility to use it wisely, sparingly and to the benefit of your ENTIRE team. The organization can give a leadership title, but only YOU can earn it . . .

Be young, have fun! I am attending a long time colleague's wedding this weekend, and am really looking forward to seeing many of my past "people who I use to worked for"!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I see that blogging is a tough habit to break, especially when you've become so adept at it.

Nice to see you've continued and I look forward to seeing your thoughts.

BTW, the "I work for you" concept has helped me a lot in my effort to "lead from the front" - thanks