Friday, June 27, 2008

Standing up for what is Right

Over my career, I have had to stand up to "pressure" from above to make a particular decision that senior management wanted . . . yes, I did not play politics. It would have been easy, just do what you are asked and then senior management will like you. Well, I guess I chose the path of least resistance. In some cases, you can disagree but senior management still ends up making the decision for you.

One example that I had was that someone made a mistake, and I was told to fire that person immediately. Of oourse, not all the facts were out yet, but still I was told fire that person . . . (by the way, mistakes will be made by everyone especially if you are a growth unit because innovation means sometimes making mistakes, remember Thomas Edison inventing the light bulb, he did not get it on the first attempt). I stood up for the person in a heated argument, going so far that I was "on the plank" as well. However, you should always go by what is right, no matter what the consequences, how do you look at anyone else in the eye if you just follow what senior management wants? Where is the respect you earn? It is easy to earn respect for making decisions that are popular and what everyone agrees. It is real respect when as a leader you do what you feel and think is the right thing to do even when faced with being in the minority.

Leadership is not a popularity contest, but instead focused on what is right for the business in the long run.

As a leader, Sometimes you have to put yourself on the line when the right decision is in the minority.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes that's easier said than done. If you're not yet a senior leader, it can be somewhat intimidating to stand up for what might be an unpopular decision. How do you stand up for what you believe in while also not risking your livelihood?

Steve said...

Good comment and appreciated. I would say that it depends on the degree and impact of the decision. If something is really fundamental wrong, how can you not stand up for what's right? One thought I had was that the role I had was the only job I could ever do or be good at, well, I was wrong, there are many opportunities, it is just taking the time to look for them. I am not saying that every decision that you think is wrong, you should put yourself on the line, but there are a few that are just blantantly wrong and not right, those are the times that you should be confident to say something as there are many opportunities for you.