Friday, June 13, 2008

Treating People with Dignity and Respect

I have seen it in the past. I know I will see it again in the future. Companies wonder why they cannot attract people or why there is higher turnover in their organization, but the leader never looks at themselves and says, "maybe I am the issue" versus "it's everyone else's issues".

In my opinion, one of the key attributes for a long-term successful organization is how they treat people on departure, whether that departure is voluntary resignation, retirement, or even involuntary (poor performance, downsizing, or just plain dont like someone). When you treat departing people "cheaply" or without respect for past performance, it will come back and haunt you, maybe not tomorrow or next week but it will, trust me. You see these departing people could become an intense competitor, or become a senior person at an organization that you want to do business with, or a "not so good" reference when attracting people.

I admit it, I have seen some poor performing people receive some nice packages upon departure . . . and I wondered how come they are giving that person such a nice package when I am still working very hard and performing well and not getting much in return. Well, I saw first hand that those people became a large client or helped attract people to the organization. I learned. You must treat people well on departure as the ROI will be positive.

Now, I have seen one recent organization who does not treat people that way, instead, they view people as just a fungible resource, i.e., just a number that can be easily replaced. Hmmmm. So, they let people go cheaply and without respect, not assessing the long term value that the person brought to the table . . . (you may want to constantly look over your shoulder if you are in an organization like this, because one small slip up or the need to spend time with a ill child and miss a deadline or a meeting, then see you later . . . why would anyone want to work for an organization like that, i.e., you never know when you might be fired?). So, tell me, if you decided to leave or if you made a mistake, how would your organization treat you?

There is nothing stronger than the desire to overcome being wronged. The will to win cannot be beat!

I hope as a leader that you look yourself in the mirror when a person will be leaving, and know that you are treating them with dignity and respect and depart as friends and not as enemies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am speachless

Anonymous said...

Karma, Zen, whatever you want to call it. You get what you give sometimes...