Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Family First

You work hard. I work hard. Most people want to do a good job. Some work hard because there is fear of losing their job.

How do you balance working "all the time" and family?

Now, I might not be the best to advise on this because in the past, I was one of those doing extra work so I could "succeed" or at least not get fired. I was a workaholic. There I said it.

My priority advice to others has always been:

1. GOD (or any other higher authority that you believe in)
2. FAMILY
3. WORK

In this area, "I did not do what I preached". I had the priority in a different order.

Family will always be there in good and bad times. Work might be there in good times, but when bad times . . . (the social contract between worker and employer has changed dramatically over the last few decades).

Times change. People are renewed. I am one of those. I now follow my own advice that I have been giving to so many people. I have made decisions that put family first (this week example, I wanted to walk my sons to the bus stop on their first day of school but a meeting was set up in another state . . . I moved the meeting . . . I would have not done that in the past, I was addicted to work).

Am I perfect? No.

However, I am making positive strides. I have a better relationship with my family. I work around family priorities much more than I "family" around work priorities. The other benefit is that I feel less stressed, my blood pressure has never been better, cholesterol count is below normal, my heartbeat was registered at 39 beats a minute (I know all of these as I recently had to visit a doctor for new life insurance policy). My new role has provided the flexibility to make this happen and I appreciate the opportunity to my personal needs. I know some do not have that flexibility but try your best (with telecommuting, etc, it might be easier than you think) . . . it has made a positive difference in my life, too bad I did not follow my own advice years ago.

Try Family, you might feel better overall (and end up having a better and happier life)!

No comments: