Monday, November 3, 2008

Leadership outside of business

This past weekend, I attended a Cub Scout campout with my sons. Yes, this was a real camp out (tent, out in the wild, campfire, etc.). My back is still hurting (I bought a blow up mattress to sleep on, however, during the night the air all came out).

There were many activities during the day and night. I was picked to lead one of the activities, building a rocket that we would launch under air pressure. I am still not sure how I got picked, in these kinds of activities I am normally happy being a helper.

Anyway, I found myself enjoying leading this group of eight year olds.
- the kids were very focused on getting the project complete
- everyone contributed
- good ideas were built upon other good ideas and in the end had a great "product"
- after completion and carrying over the rocket, you could see the team was proud of their accomplishment
- when it was launched, the exultation that was experienced by the team was so rewarding to me (even surprised myself)

Bottom line: again, the same leadership techniques can be used in all scenarios, does not have to be business (settting out a vision/goal, keep focus, get all members to contribute in their own special way, listen to all ideas as ideas together produce a better product, all are proud when they accomplish a good result, nothing is better than shared success).

In my current individual contributor role, I do miss leading a team (maybe I will just get involved in leading more activities).

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Nothing better than having a sense of belonging and feeling of accomplishment, even for an eight year old. I'm glad you had this opportunity to work with the Scouts and sounds like you'll do more. Service is good for the soul