Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Stop, Close your Eyes

Out running today, listening to Flobots' "Handlebars" and trying to figure out the lyrics . . . also thinking about what I have to be thankful . . .

It's American Thanksgiving Day on thursday .. .

Stop. Close your Eyes. (well, do after reading the posting . . . )

Take the time to think about what you have to be thankful for . . . I know I am so blessed and thankful for all that I have (health, wonderful spouse and family, friends, shelter, food on the table, a job, etc.).

So often, we focus on the things we don't have or are not right in our lives. This week, take the time to focus on the good things.

Similarly, as a leader or manager . . we focus on people's weaknesses and how to improve them, whereas we don't focus on their strengths and look for ways to leverage them . . . it is better (and usually easier) to leverage a strength then improve a weakness.

So, this week, focus on your "strengths" (i.e., things to be thankful) and set aside your weaknesses for a few days (I am sure they will still be there when you return).

And for those that are about to do year end performance reviews, have a discussion around the strengths and ways to leverage those to help the business in 2009!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Steve. I'm thankful for my children, family, good friends and that I still have a job. Had my year end today and I was painfully honest with my super. He was generous with my strengths. Have some things to put in front for 2009 now.