Monday, November 24, 2008

Speeding Ticket

For the first time in almost 15 years, I received a speeding violation. I do have an excuse. I was on a new highway (on my way to a golf charity event BTW) and the speed limit went from 70 to 55 and I just did not see the speed reduction sign.

In most states, you can pay the fine OR take a defensive driving course and the ticket is off your record (both are practically the same price). Well being as competitive as I am, I want a clean record, so decided on defensive driving course. You can spend an entire weekend day at an training seminar or take it online. I decided "cool", I will take this online, no problem, be easy and wont waste an entire day of my life. I was wrong.

The online course was suppose to take 6 hours, somehow it took me almost 9 hours to do this online course. It just went on and on and on . . . you could not skip and each page was timed . . . it was totally frustrating. And I am not a happy camper. The other deal was that at the seminar you do not have to take a test, but online you do . . . so if you failed, you have to take it again. YIKES! Now, that is pressure.

The point of this is that as a leader (or anyone), sometimes a "course" (or decision) might seem easier when in fact, it might just be a more pain in the backside. The "grass is not always greener on the other side". Next time, I am just going to pay the fine.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

I feel your pain, having lived in Texas and done the on-line defensive driving course. Such a waste of time.