Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Brink Theory of Management

Well, that is if anyone cares . . . I would not say it is really a new theory or anything but I read a book many years ago that had a major impact on me and how I manage people and business, and it is one of the drivers why I would like to lead a company. My view is that many companies view people as numbers when talent is the only sustainable competitive advantage that a company has . .. wouldn't you want to keep the most valuable asset happy and motivated?



Here is the book:



The Great Game of Business

by Jack Stack



If you lead people or manage a a product line, I highly recommend it!



This is not your typical consulting-speak management book, you know those books by people who have never led people or managed a business before . . .



The books starts with "The Higher Laws of Business"



1. you get what you give

2. it's easy to stop one guy, but it's pretty hard to stop 100

3. What goes around comes around

4. You do what you gotta do

5. You gotta wanna

6. You can sometimes fool the fans, but you can never fool the players

7. When you raise the bottom, the top rises

8. When people set their own targets, they usually hit them

9 If nobody pays attention, people stop caring

10. As they say in Missouri: S#%t rolls downhill. By which we mean change begins at the top



The books goes into more details into each of these . . .



Those who might be in the know, might understand my desire to Leave my last company and adventure on my own . . . there might be some misalignment with some of these.



I do highly recommend . . . it is true empowerment of those who work so hard to do a good job!

1 comment:

M said...

Thanks for sharing this Steve. As I'm studying MBA, I hope this reading will be helpful.

Muthu