Thursday, April 17, 2008

Unsung Heroes

Next week (April 23) is Administrative Professionals Day! Yes, I know it is one of those "marketing" days to sell flowers, cards, have lunches, etc. However, everyday should be Administrative Professional appreciation day. I have been blessed to have had terrific administrative support in my leadership days (Thanks to you all, you know who you are). Yes, sometimes I took it for granted (and sorry about that) . . . however, one key element for success of leadership is that you do you have strong support, someone or a group who helps make the business run smoothly so that you can focus on the more strategic issues of the business.

I remember when I was a Janitor at a Bowling alley working my way through university. It was on an Air Force base. The busiest nights were the league nights, there were two main one, an Officers league (those who are the high ranking staff, middle management, or top management) and an NCO league (those who are usually the "working" staff). As janitor, I would need to walk around and pick up trash (usually beer cans and cigarette butts) . . . it was interesting to see the reaction of people . . . during the NCO league, they were very helpful, placing their trash in my trashcan, being nice, saying "thank you", and treating me well. However, during the Officers league, they treated me like a second class citizen, I was definitely beneath them, they made jokes about me, etc. Where would they be, if I decided not to do my job, they would have a mess and not be as enjoyable time as they were having . . . It was those days, that I promised myself, no matter what I ever became in life, I would treat people the same as I would like to be treated . . . it takes a team to be successful and just so happens we have different roles to meet the goals. I do my best to treat all the same, whether the CEO or the person who delivers water to your table at dinner.

As a leader, remember those unsung heroes because they help make you successful. While every day should be Admin support appreciation day, at least next week, there is a day set aside to ensure you say "thanks"!

1 comment:

Kim said...

My mom was an elementary teacher for years. When I was working on my undergrad degree (in Education of the Handicapped) my mom had one piece of advice for me: treat the janitor and secretary nicer than anyone else in the school. She said that these two people know more about what goes on in the school, and can be the best help when you need it. She was right, and I'm so glad I listened to her.

I think how someone treats others (no matter their station in life) says a lot about a person.