Friday, April 25, 2008

Enjoy Yourself (at Work)

It is interesting, we spend at least 40 hours per week at work (usually it is a lot more than that), then you think that we sleep between 6 to 8 hours a night (so if we say 7, that is another 35 hours a week), then you probably take somewhere around a hour or two per day getting ready for and traveling to and fro work (this might be a gender specific thing about getting ready, I can get ready in 15min and my commute is about 50 steps. life is good) . . . so, there is 168 hours a week. Just work and sleep take up 82 hours, that is almost half of the entire time for a week. And don't forget about all the errands that we have to do during the week . . . You might spend more time working with colleagues than spending with your spouse or partner!

I think we need to lighten up a bit during work, so many are uptight. I dont mean to slack off and not deliver on goals. But smile a little more and enjoy yourself!

You have probably have had several leaders in the past, which one did you work harder for and probably had more fun. My guess would be it was the leader who liked to have fun (probably did not take themselves as seriously as other leaders) and who really celebrated successes and wins. Maybe I am in the minority but I worked much harder when you were in an environment that was a fun place to work, am I wrong? I have been lucky reporting to most leaders who created a respectful but fun environment. A leader should put a smile on your face! Does your leader do that?

I made it my personal commitment to create such an environment, I will allow others to determine if I reached that goal!

I have had many funny business stories, so I will share one with you, names removed to protect the innocent.

I was co-instructing for software training at a large facility with about 30 clients. This facility was very nice, each "user" was in a pod with their own PC, microphone and speaker. Those that know me, know that my voice is . . . should be say . . . strong, so I did not need to use a wireless lapel microphone, however, my co-instructor's voice need one. So, my co-instructor is finishing their section and hand over to me the next section so I begin instructing. During that time, my co-instructor left the room (to get a glass of water?). Well, I am teaching and then all of sudden a hear a water leaking sound . . . everyone helps hears it as well, we are looking around the room to see if a water pipe broke or something . .. but we could not find anything, then all of a sudden, there was a big WHHHHOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH, yes, my co-instructor did not turn off their wireless mike and went to the restroom . . . so, here I am, standing in front of 30 clients (while we were listening to my co-instructor using the restroom), what would you do? Well, I had to say something, right? Quickly, I said, well, sorry for that, but lets make sure they wash their hands . . . within a few seconds, you hear running water . . . a few moments earlier, a colleague had run to the restroom to let the co-instrutor know, so you end up hearing some rustling and then silence. Needless to say, the co-instructor was a little embarrassed, but bottom line, it was a good time had by all . . . .life is short, have fun when you can! Oh, there are so many more stories that I can share . . . anyone else have any?

No comments: