Monday, April 28, 2008

Facing Obstacles

Sundays are usually my longer run days. Yesterday, I planned to do a 7 mile run (12K). I also need to get up early to this run because of our standing Sunday commitment. However, when I woke up, it was pouring rain. I laid in bed thinking, "oh, maybe I can take the day off or run later in the day". After many minutes of debate, I came to the following conclusions:
  1. Life is too short
  2. When the going gets tough, the tough get going (a little reference to Animal House)
  3. Taking the easy road does not make you a better person

So, I got up and drove down to the lake, and it was raining let me tell you! Austin is a runner's town, it seems the entire city runs. Usually, there are hundreds of people running, when I show up at my normal parking place, there is only one other car (normally at least 30 at this time).

During my run, it became more enjoyable than my usually sunny run. I was able to get use to the rain. More importantly, there were interesting obstacles that I had not faced before, including: small puddles, large puddles, mud, wet creek beds that are usually dry and no one else running (i.e., no one passing me on the trail). I had to jump over the puddles or use inventive techniques to minimum the wetness that my shoes would get. It was one of my most enjoyable runs in a few months.

What has this got to do with leadership or business? Well, I would say everything as it epitomizes what leaders go through many times a day, a week, a month, a year. Many times, you are faced with a fork in the road, do you take on the tough challenge or do you shy away (read Scott Peck's The Road less traveled), sometimes you dont have a choice but you can deny it as its staring you in the face. Take on that challenge, you will face obstacles that you wont normally run into and might even enjoy the change and in the end, feel positive about yourself and your team! You can do anything you put your mind to . . . so get dressed, take on the challenge head-on . . . as Vince Lombardi once said "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up"!

So, take on that challenge, you will be happy by facing it head on . . . whether it is a difficult client, software that is behind schedule, personal relationship that has been souring, a possible promotion, a surprising communication that you had no idea about . . . face it, you will be better off and might even enjoy it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

refreshing to hear the SOB speaking. I found out the same thing about walking in the rain - what a nice perspective it gives you. You realize that you can actually enjoy a situation that at first seems negative. However, when you tell someone else how much fun it was - they often give you the "are you crazy" look