Tuesday, April 1, 2008

First Day of Freedom

Oh my . . . I looked at the mirror today (the first day of not being employed by Mercer since 1994) and I think my hair is turning to its original colour from the grey (okay, yes, the hair that is left, did not notice any more hair . . . .yet, but its only been a day). The pressure is off, I feel I can breathe deep.

I was able to walk my boys to the bus stop this morning. I am going to have lunch with my wife. I will be picking the boys up at the bus stop . . . it is the little things we really miss out on life sometimes that are real special!

I went for a very long run along one of the lakes in Austin this morning. Here were my song selection on my IPOD for this run . . . okay, dont laugh . . .

These are the Days Van Morrison
- It is the now, today . . . live for the moment
Come Sail Away Styx
- Come join aboard ... for a new adventure
If it Makes you Happy Sheryl Crow
- Hey, life is short, make the best of it . . . do what makes you happy
You Cant always get what you want Rolling Stones
- but you can get what you need . . . what is really most important in life?
Son of a Son of a Sailer Jimmy Buffet
- Yes, I lived in many places . .. for first ten years of my life, our home had wheels, yes, lived in a trailer, first and only college educated person in entire line of family (my daughter will graduate in May 2009 and will be number two).
Good Riddance Green Day
- Well . . . . a little Obvious?
Survivor Destiny's Child
- I know, but I like the beat and I will survive any challenges I face. . . all you have to do is believe!
Easy Commodores
- Time for to move on . . .
Green Eyes Coldplay
- This is just a special song to me
This is the Day The Soul Mining
- yes, this day is a definitely a change in my life
'Till I Collapse Eminem
- I will never stop working and fighting for what is right

2 comments:

austin ang said...

I hope the IPOD list improves as you get used to this new freedom. Destiny's Child? Really? Tell Aimee to stop buying you pink boxers. Geez. :-)

Unknown said...

Nothing like a long run and the right music to clear your head. Here are a few that have worked for me; maybe give them a try:

"Get Rhythm" NRBQ (Johnny Cash cover)

"The Rising" Bruce Springsteen

"Stand On It" Bruce Springsteen

You can likely tell a thing or two about where I spent *my* formative years based on this playlist. But each of these songs has helped me through some big inflection points in my own life, and still works today.

Seems to me that you're DRIVIN', not just settlin' back. Keep it up.